Everything written on this blog is true. We did our very best to be honest and not sugar-coat things or embellish them. But it’s not our truth. Writing for this blog over the last 7+ months has taught us that we don’t want to be travel bloggers.
Choosing our blog name, creating a website and getting this all started was so much fun! It was easy to throw ourselves into RTW Detour because it was new and it was something we both really wanted to do. But then the fire died and we were left with this blog that we didn’t love writing.
The constant question in the back of our heads was “Where is this going?”
The answer was basically “Anywhere we want”… but all of the scenarios we put together involved us growing this site and becoming forever vagabonds, which deep down we don’t want.
So as we continue to travel around the world (because we still want to be vagabonds for a while) we are going to focus on a few other things.
Our biggest goals (that we intended on sticking to from the start but lost track of) are:
- To really slow down. This blog took us to so lot of places that were very “good for the blog”. But from day one we never wanted to be the travellers in a new bed every few nights. At first we were able to move at a comfortable pace. Somewhere in between Colombia and Ecuador our pace rapidly increased. It’s been a wild ride and we’re ready to actually slow down, in a lot of ways.
- We need to focus on where our life is taking us. Rebecca wants to focus on meditation, yoga, breathing techniques, nutrition, overall fulfillment and wellness. Tyler is going to dive into a passion he left behind long ago: biology and specifically the world of permaculture. In choosing these paths we hope to grow a sustainable future for ourselves.
- It’s time to be really real. When this blog started, we wanted to be honest about all the ups and downs of travel. However, it took on a life of its own and became a guide for future travellers. We’re proud of the work we’ve done but we want to start sharing things from deep down within our soul.
How are we doing this?
- We’re not writing anything for RTW Detour anymore. Our detour continues but no more content will be posted here. The travel and informational guides on this site will remain until our web hosting comes up for renewal and we stop paying for our information to be on the worldwide web (later this year).
- We’re committing to building our future. Online courses, books, retreats/workshops in India, volunteering on farms in Asia…. these are all of the grassroots things that we are now looking forward to!
- We’re creating a new blog. Rebecca is the writer. Tyler is the editor and web master. We will share the social media aspect. It’s going to be the real stuff that we experience. As we travel it will likely be based on travel-related topics; it won’t be a travel blog though. It’s a lifestyle blog that we hope will grow with us over the next decade (and beyond).
What about our readers?
We will be keeping up our RTW Detour Facebook page. Like us on Facebook for updates on where we are, what we’re doing, photos, videos and more. It will basically be a super mini blog.
Feel free to join us over at our new blog (coming soon). Our goal is to have everything up and running within the first few weeks of our travels in India. To find out when the new blog goes live, check the RTW Detour Facebook page or email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the new list.